Building My Business : Career Panel

The Entrepreneurship Career Panel was a great experience. As I am someone who rarely participates in on-campus activities, I feel as though I was inspired with this particular event. This career panel was specifically helpful because I plan on opening up my own clothing boutique when I get older. The panel helped me gain more knowledge about my dream and I have realized that starting your own business is not smooth sailing. Starting your own business entails many ups and downs but from what I have learned, it is fulfilling in the end. I could relate to the entrepreneurs myself for I also feel that I would like to be in control of my business. All of the speakers believed they could do better than their boss and this idea is what got them motivated. As a college student, I felt inspired to start my own mini business. For example, John Dinkel adopted his entrepreneur characteristics while in college. He was a primary writer for his school newspaper at Salisbury and once he graduated, used his writing skills for sales and marketing.

I have also learned that college is a great way to turn something into a business. For example, Andy Brown of “Eat Pizza” stated that you are surrounded by so many people in college so why not start a business? With an abundance of people my age and in a confined space makes it easy to start a business. Brown also gave good tips such as recognizing the importance of keeping two streams of income when starting out in your business. Since starting your own business entails many ups and downs, having something steady on the side is crucial. Many other tips that the speakers gave were important to reiterate, but I had already known some of these points already. To me, the knowledge of working two jobs while maintaining your business was the most important thing that I have learned at the event.

In Digital Publishing, it is important to brand your business. Websites, social media posts and simply getting your name out there is how you build a business. By producing a website that meets all credentials and targets the desired audience is what will make the business successful. When becoming an entrepreneur it is important to make websites to get the company’s name out there. Since almost everybody uses social media and the internet, it is important to create an aesthetically pleasing website with multiple modes to intrigue your audience. As a Business Communication major, learning about starting up your own business was very helpful. Since I plan to open a clothing boutique, I believe that it is important for me to create a good website that represents exactly what my business will be. By taking Digital Publishing, it will help me use my marketing skills while learning other aspects of website styles, modes, and affordances to create the best site.